Internal Control Review
Internal control review assumes greater importance in the light of current economic downturn. Monitoring and assessment of internal controls across various functions is performed through continuous evaluations to ensure whether the implemented internal control system is effective as intended by the Board of Directors. The assessment facilitates identification of internal control deficiencies for further corrective actions.
To create an effective internal control system, an organization should establish the following:
- Policies and procedures including, among others, organizational structure, job descriptions, authorization matrix;
- Segregation of duties and responsibilities;
- Authorization and approval process;
- Performance monitoring and control procedures;
- Safeguarding assets, completeness and accuracy;
- Manpower management;
- Independent internal audit function;
- Regulatory compliance and risk management.